Monday, June 17, 2013


I haven't posted in awhile because I injured my eyeball.  Yes, my eyeball. Oh, and by the way, I can't take credit for the clever title of this was Caitlin's idea.

Anyway, I signed up to do a 10k for this past weekend with my husband's side of the family and I've been consistently training so I wouldn't totally embarrass myself.  Nothing says bad genes like a leg cramp before hitting mile mark numero uno.  As my friend at work says, "I wouldn't even run if my socks were made out of sirloin and there were 4 Rottweilers chasing me."  True that brother.

So...the training.  So I was running in Chicago with my friend Katie last Monday and my eye started really bothering me.  I tried rinsing it out and it didn't feel any better.  I decided it was going to be a glasses kind of day, so before showering for work I removed my contact in my right eye and what felt like half of my right eyeball.  NOT GOOD.

I have scratched my cornea before, so I figured it was just a bad case of that.   I went to CVS and bought 4 different kinds of lubricating eye drops and then scampered off to work with one eye winked shut.  Sitting in my Monday morning  meeting at work was TORTURE.  I couldn't control my eye.  It was watering incessantly and I couldn't bare light.  I called my eye doctor (who isn't in on Mondays) and he advised me to keep it lubricated and to come in the next day.  I can't really tell you awful Monday was.  I couldn't eat.  I couldn't see.  I couldn't even exist.  I was writhing in pain. 

Charlie picked up numerous things from the pharmacy, including prescription antibiotic eye drops and several eye patches.  He put on the "yoga" Pandora station and placed a bowl of Cherry Garcia next to my bed.  I spent most of Tuesday waiting for my eye appointment in the dark cave Charlie turned our bedroom into. 

After some bright lights and some well received numbing eye drops, my doctor informed me that I had a metal shard in my cornea.  Yes.  A metal shard IN MY EYE.

Here are pictures of the little piece of metal.  It's the little Hersey Kiss looking thing...

Here is another shot of the metal...

My eye doctor tried flushing it out, then tried using a Q-tip and then finally scraped out as much as he could with a sharper metal looking object.  I fainted for a second and basically wanted to die/puke/pass out. Luckily, only the passing out happened and it was brief.

I went back on Thursday and there was still a little bit of metal remaining...

The most unfortunate part of my visit was finding out that in addition to a little metal left behind, there is now a rust ring.

I've had to endure a few embarrassing days with an eye patch and no makeup.  Not really my best look.  The pirate jokes are plentiful, including one made by a colleague who asked if my doctor was going to prescribe a parrot or a peg leg on my next visit.  I would defriend him if he wasn't so funny.

I will be back with some exciting new recipes soon enough.  In the meantime, I will leave you with this:

Moral of the story...don't exercise. 


  1. I will never exercise AGAIN! Oh wait, I don't exercise anyway.... I WILL NEVER BEGIN EXERCISING! :D

    I hope your eye gets better soon! Sucks being a cyclops.

  2. try a magnet to get the metal out.

  3. Ahhhh! That sounds awful, glad you are on the mend!

  4. Thanks everyone for the kind comments...I had my second surgery yesterday and was told it was the last! Relief!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!